Thursday 19 April 2012

Oeufs en Cocottes

Yes, I have turned French. I have recently purchased 'The Little Paris Kitchen' recipe book which is full of easy French recipes by the cutie that is Rachel Khoo.


I had watched her television programme on BBC2 (a good watch if you're free on a Monday night at 8:30pm) and she made these little eggs in saucers and first they looked delicious and secondly, very cute. So I decided to make them, now I did this slightly wrong but I thought you could all learn from my mistakes and have a perfect egg in saucer unlike me!!


You will need:


2 tablespoon creme fraiche
Nutmeg
Salt and Pepper
1 egg
Pinch of fresh dill/parsley/basil


(This will make one portion i.e. one pot so just make however many pots you want for however many people you're making for!)


You need to do:


1. Pre heat to 180 degrees, choose a wide ramekin or wide teacup (DO NOT use a deep teacup like mine as it just won't cook right).




2. Dollop in a tablespoon of creme fraiche and season with a good pinch of salt, pepper and nutmeg and mix. Pop some herbs on top.




3. Crack an egg on top and then dollop the second creme fraiche tablespoon, season again the same as the first time.




4. Put the ramekin or ramekins in a ban marie which is a baking dish with lukewarm water, fill until it covers halfway up the ramekin (this is where wide and shallow teacups and ramekins will come in handy)




5. Put in the oven for 15 minutes or until the egg is cooked to your liking of runnyness. While it's cooking make some soldiers.




6. Serve it all on the plate and enjoy! 





My version was a failure, I put too much creme fraiche in there, I didn't have any herbs which are kind of essential for the flavour and the egg just didn't cook right in a deep teacup so don't do any of that and you'll have some lovely oeufs en cocottes! Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment