This recipe is from the Hummingbird Bakery book and it is honestly the best baking book I've used, the recipes always turn out brilliantly and look so professional! I would strongly suggest buying the book.
The banana loaf is such an easy recipe, anyone could do it, and its seriously good stuff!
You will need:
270g soft light brown sugar
200g peeled bananas, mashed
280g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
140g unsalted butter, melted
(I told you I'd do a proper recipe soon!)
You need to do this:
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees, for AGA lovers I put mine on the floor of the top oven with the grid shelf on the floor and put the cold shelf on the second shelf (complicated huh?)
2. Put the sugar and eggs into your mixer with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth, for those without the wonders of mixers just beat for ages with a wooden spoon until your arm is dead! Mash you bananas loads, the older they are the better because they're more squishy! It looks gross but its yummy, I promise.
3. Add the flour, baking powder, bicarb, cinnamon and ginger and mix until all incorporated, pour in your melted butter (30 seconds in the microwave) and mix until it looks a bit like this, it should be quite thick:
4. Prepare your loaf tin with butter all over and then lightly dust with flour. Don't leave any excess flour so tap the tin and tip the flour out.
5. Pour your delicious mixture into the tin and smooth it over with a spatula. Put into the oven for 1 hour or until a skewer through the middle comes out clean (I checked it at 45 mins as you can judge how much longer it needs by then)
6. Take it out of the oven and let it cool in your tin for a few minutes until transferring onto a wire cooling rack. You're supposed to wait until its completely cool to cut it into about 1 inch chunks, but we were too hungry to wait so cut it when it was still warm, this just means its slightly crumbly.
You have to make these, they're absolutely delicious and so easy! So next time you have some old bananas that you want to get rid of then make these! We;ve already eaten almost half of the loaf and its barely cool!